It’s time to turn up the positive vibes and treat yo’self with a DIY skincare day! It will do wonders for your mental health and help keep your mind focused. Here are some of our favorite dermatologist approved DIY skincare recipes that you can make right at home with all-natural ingredients:
Avocado Honey face mask
· Mash 1-2 avocados into a bowl
· Add 1/8-1/4 of a cup of honey to the mix
· Apply to face and leave on for 10 – 15 min, then rinse with warm water
Why it’s good for your skin: Avocados’ high fat content is a great skin softener that will maximize your skin’s moisture. Honey is a natural humectant (like hyaluronic acid) and will help your skin hold in the hydration, while offering antibacterial benefits and antioxidants.
Soothing, softening oatmeal mask
· Blend 3 teaspoons of oatmeal with 1 teaspoon of warmed milk or water.
· Stir 1 teaspoon of coconut or plain yogurt into mix, if you have on hand
· Apply to face and leave on for 10 -15 min, then rinse with warm water
Why it’s good for your skin: Oatmeal has been used for centuries to soothe dry skin and calm sunburns, bug bites, and more. Yogurt has probiotics and enzymes that will soften and smooth the skin.
Green Tea & Rose Water Face Mist
· Steep two bags of green tea in half a cup of boiling water for 15 minutes
· Take tea bags out and mix in ½ cup of rose water
· Pour in a spray bottle to apply and refrigerate the leftovers in a sealed jar
Why it’s good for your skin: this calming face mist is great for irritated skin because the antioxidants in the green tea and the anti-inflammatory benefits of the rose water soothe skin.
Exfoliating Oatmeal & Honey Face Scrub
· Add 2 teaspoons finely ground dry oats into a bowl (you can use a coffee grinder or blender to finely ground oats)
· Add 1 teaspoon honey
· Add 1 teaspoon warm water and mix together, until it has a paste like consistency
· Apply scrub to entire face and massage, in circular motions, for 1 min. Then let sit for 4 mins
· Rinse off with warm water
*can use once a week
Why it’s good for your skin: Honey is a humectant (helps hold in hydration) and a natural antibiotic, that contains healing properties that soothe and clear up the skin. Oats are soothing and gently exfoliate dead skin cells, making your skin smoother and brighter
By trying the above skincare recipes, your mood will be lifted in a snap. It feels great to treat yourself and focus on your well-being once in a while. Taking your mind off of what’s going on is important, and why not practice self-care in the process! Another great thing about these DIY recipes is that they are all safe for your skin. There are so many great natural ingredients to help nurture, heal and nourish your face and body.
As always, we’re here for you and we’re now offering medical and aesthetic telehealth visits! If you have any questions at all regarding your skin health, do not hesitate to give us a call and we are more than happy to answer them for you or help you setup your telehealth visit.